The Gardner House was built by Ebenezer Gardner at the end of 1776. Originally born in Massachusetts, Ebenezer settled in Aulac, Nova Scotia to farm and start a family. After his involvement in a failed patriot attempt to overthrow Fort Cumberland in 1776, the British burned his original farmhouse in retribution. He and his family narrowly escaped to Machiasport where they built their second farmhouse. Ebenezer Gardner and twenty-three other family members are buried on the property in a family cemetery. For more information on the battle of Fort Cumberland and history of the Gardner family, please click the links below:
The name Micmac Farm originated from Barbara Dunn after the Micmac Indians who migrate down from Nova Scotia every August to rake wild blueberries throughout the local area. Micmac Farm was originally established as a restaurant in 1981, where guests dined in two rooms by candlelight and the warm glow of crackling fires from three fireplaces. The business expanded to include lodging in 1984 when three cabins were built on the Machias River. Six years later, a guestroom was added to the main house. Micmac Farm had been known as one of the best restaurants in Maine up to the closing after Barbara's untimely death in 2003.
Your new hosts are Bonnie and Anthony Dunn, and their daughter, Isabella.